RNLI "Laura Janet" Memorial
The memorial marks the grave of six of the crew of the St Annes lifeboat, the Laura Janet, who lost their lives in the rescue of the crew of the German barque, Mexico, on 9th December 1886. Six other crew members are buried in St Cuthbert’s churchyard, Lytham, and one other in Layton Cemetery, Blackpool. Fourteen crew of the Southport lifeboat, Eliza Fearnley, were also lost and are buried in Southport Cemetery. The crew of the Mexico were in fact rescued by the crew of the Lytham boat, Charles Briggs. Ironically, it appears that the rescue had already been accomplished before the St Annes boat was launched. The disaster remains the single biggest loss of life in the whole history of the RNLI.
Refurbishment of Laura Janet Memorial
The memorial in St Annes churchyard, being made of sandstone, was heavily weathered and has been refurbished under the auspices of the Civic Society at a cost of £15,000.
A special commemoration service was held on 6th December 2009 to mark the refurbishment of the Memorial, which is located just outside the main west door of the Church. The commemoration of all those who lost their lives in the disaster was incorporated into the morning Parish Eucharist, which was attended by the Mayor & Mayoress of the Fylde and representatives and current crew members of the RNLI in St Annes, Lytham, and Southport.